How To Do Candle Meditation and What Are the Benefits
Meditation is a consciousness technique that involves clearing your mind, helping your overall focus. Candle meditation is a little different from the traditional meditation practice you may think of. It involves completely focusing your attention on the candle’s flame rather than closing your eyes. The flame captures your attention and will help your mind relax to help put you in an overall calmer and more meditative state.
How Does It Work?
- Choose your candle. Beeswax candles are always preferred over other types as they are non-toxic candles, which will keep you safe from harmful vapours as you meditate.
- Choose a dimly lit room where you will be comfortable and undisturbed during your candle meditation. Make sure the room is quiet, away from traffic or household noises.
- Make sure you are wearing comfortable clothes that will not distract you.
- Find a comfortable spot in the room to start your candle meditation. The candle should be at eye level. We would recommend sitting on the floor while you rest the candle on a table, for example.
- Sit in a comfortable position with your back straight. You could do this with the help of a chair, or, if you are seated on the floor, in a cross-legged position.
- Light the flame and gaze attentively at it. If your eyes start to water at this point, don’t worry, this should reduce as you carry out your meditation.
- Meditate! Remember to breathe steadily and keep your attention focused on the flame. You should become absorbed in the flame and its movements. If you find your mind wandering, focus back on the flame every time you catch yourself.
- After around 15-30 minutes, or however long your session is, blow your candle out to avoid any fire hazards. Give yourself 5 minutes or so to fully come back to awareness and carry on with your day.
What are The Benefits of Candle Meditation?
There are a host of benefits when it comes to candle meditation, that’s why so many people do and love it! Here’s a notable few:
- Acts as an alternative to other forms of meditation. If you are someone who struggles to meditate with your eyes closed, this is a great alternative as it allows you to fully focus your mind on a tangible object.
- Helps to promote inner peace and relaxation.
- Reduces invasive and unhelpful thoughts. By focusing your mind on the candle, you get rid of any thoughts and stresses for that moment.
- Acts as a training exercise for improved concentration and focus. This will come in handy in every aspect of life, no matter your age or profession!
- Can help you in your spiritual advancement.
Why Not Give It a Go?
Absolutely anyone can do candle meditation and take advantage of the host of benefits it offers. All you need is a candle and a quiet space and you’re set. Whether you’ve been feeling extra stressed and anxious lately, or just want to carve out a quiet 15 minutes into your day where you can completely relax, candle meditation is a great way to help you feel at ease.
Remember to make sure your NZ made candle is made of beeswax to avoid any toxic and harmful vapours. Happy meditating!